Sunday, August 14, 2011

Institutions


I’m still trying to wrap my head around eating out in Los Angeles.  You see, there’s this phenomenon out here that both astounds and confuses my delicate palate.  Maybe I just know some weird people, or perhaps my disposable income is just much less than it used to be, but there seems to be some sort of proliferation of old timey dining institutions out here.  These institutions are matched by a large number of more traditional ethnic restaurants, and while ethnic food is all well and good, I lived in New York City for 10 years, where a mid-priced amazing and innovative meal is rather commonplace.  This seems to be harder to come by in L.A., and when you do, it’s often in the $30+ price range.
 
Taylor’s Steak House is one such institution.  I have been there 3 times, most recently yesterday for my father’s birthday.  The first time I got some kind of filet mignon with crab on top.  That was a bad idea.  The second time I got their burger, which was totally overcooked and dry.  This time I got their rib eye, which was actually pretty good.  It came with a side of broccoli (not shown).  My stepmother got the crème brulee (also not shown) for desert.  That was actually the best thing I’ve ever had there.

My very traditional steak dinner: 

Another such institution is Taix (pronounced like Tex).  I either get their Croque Monsieur, or their Moules a la Mariniere.  Their Gratin de Macaroni is not bad either, but if you expect anything more out of this place than comfort food, you’re going to be disappointed.

My very comforting Croque Monsieur:

Perhaps the worst of these institutions is the infamous Dan Tana’s next to the Troubador.  Everything here comes with a side of spaghetti.  I can only ask “Why?”

Fortunately, despite my highly limited budget, I have discovered some restaurants worth trying out.  They are (in no particular order) Lil’ Doms, Folliero’s, Lou, Mandarette, Masa, and Auntie Em’s.

Some restaurants I am interested in:  Animal, the Kitchen, and The Allston Yacht Club.

A side note or afterthought if you will:  the french fries at the Mondrian Hotel’s Skybar, are actually quite good.