Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Overheard In Los Angeles


Location:  Thai Patio restaurant, Hollywood Blvd., Los Angeles, CA, USA

Woman 1:  “This is delicious.”
Woman 2:  “Is it like Thailand?”
Woman 1:  “It’s like Heaven in my mouth!”

While I am starting to find myself quite fond of the “Thai Patio” restaurant in Hollywood, I’m not sure if I would go as far as declaring its holiness out loud.  You see, the food isn’t bad; in fact it’s pretty good.  I just know that there are other places with much better food. 

When it comes to lunch specials however, Thai Patio can’t be beat.  For $4.99 you get a quarter thai bbq chicken, complete with a salad (the kind you really eat), fried wonton thingy, and rice.  I’ve been there twice for that special so far this month.  Today though, I opted for the “Drunken Noodles” to go.  While satisfactory, and quite the deal at $6.51 (including tax) I felt the pad kee mao I had 2 weeks earlier from “It’s Thai Hometaurant” (courtesy of Jenny Sayaka Norris) was actually waaaaaaay better.  It was also prettier with more vibrant coloring.  Perhaps it was fresher as well, and had more vegetables.  Regardless, I have no pictures to share for proof of that experience, so I will just indulge these shots from today’s drunken noodles.


Before:


After:




The following song would be perfect if I was eating cambodian food in Cambodia in the '70's instead of thai food in Los Angeles circa 2011, but hey - you can't win everything (for example my favorite songs from this album are nowhere to be found on youtube, and they're also all called "unknown" by "anonymous").